How to make creative U Turns
10 reasons why YOU think you’re not creative and 10 ways to TURN it around.
Have you every thought to yourself, “I want to do something more creative, I just don’t know what that is?”. If this sounds like you, then you are not alone. If you have ever started a creative project, got half way through and stopped, you are not alone. If you have ever said, “I don’t have a creative bone in my body”, you are still not alone.
None of us are alone in this experience because creativity is universal. Even after all these years working as creative person, in design, art and music, I still sweat it when I put my work or myself out there.
Creativity comes from your spirit and re-connects you with spirit. Through ideas and experiences creativity is a language we can all use to explore and express our unique gifts. All too often you listen to your own self-criticism and doubt. You listen to what other people say and you care way too much about what everyone thinks.
10 reasons why you think YOU are not creative:
- You have no special talent, skill or gift.
- You are not famous for making art, therefore you are not an artist.
- You are not ‘making a living’ from your art therefore you are not successful.
- You have no formal training
- You are just not ‘naturally’ creative
- You think you should be more creative than others
- It’s all too hard
- Your family and friends will think you are crazy
- It’s not your turn
- You are just not good enough
Living a creative life is not about art, talent or whether you are good enough, it’s not about making a financial living from art. A creative life is about creating a masterpiece, titled ‘Your Life’.
Being creative is not a linear endeavour determined by success. You don’t start at one point and end at the other in a successful straight line, it’s not a series of situations made in perfect symmetry. In my experience creative lives are made with tight beginnings and loose ends, rich layers of pattern and texture built up over time.
‘Making a living’ from your creativity is doing just that, it’s making a life, a way of living.
If you approach your creative life and indeed your practice in this way, it opens up endless possibilities and unlimited potential. The power of non-attachment liberates creative self-expression and purpose. The purpose then becomes about ‘the making’, and not about being ‘on the make’. When you have expectations about how things should be, that is when you are likely to experience the sting in the tail of creativity – this is a poison you do not want to swallow too often.
10 ways to U-turn your creativity around
1. Embrace your capacity for free-thinking, feeling and experiencing the world in your own particular way.
2. Fame is not the new normal. Just because you do, doesn’t mean you will. Vincent Van Gough, Galileo, Henry David Thoreau and Emily Dickinson all became famous after death, it did not stop them creating in life.
3. Money is only one factor in determining success. Re-define your relationship with success.
4. The world is your creative university – seek and learn from it.
5. You where born creative, as we all were.
6. Competition is the killer of creativity. Compassion and celebration is the giver of creativity.
7. When things are hard, acknowledge this and get prepared for a breakthrough.
8. You know the saying, ‘There is one in every crowd’, be that creative person, every family needs at least one.
9. If you really believe it’s not your turn to be creative, then bless and celebrate the people who are having a turn. Acknowledge your creativity is full of swings and roundabouts.
10. When you think you are not good enough – that’s you and everyone else on the planet!
Make your life a happy, healthy creative life made of love.
Join us at the Creative Love ♥ masterclass and discover how to gain creative clarity, build creative confidence, discover your creative calling and explore your creative swagger – be ready to bring on 2019 as your most creative year ever.
November 24th 2018.
TOP 3 TAKEAWAY’S
Being creative is not a linear endeavor determined by success. You don’t start at one point and end at the other in a successful straight line, it’s not a series of situations made in perfect symmetry. In my experience creative lives are made with tight beginnings and loose ends, rich layers of pattern and texture built up over time.
Hello Creative QB’s, If you are not getting enough rest or feeling more stressed than usual, you could be experiencing adrenal fatigue. What has that got to do with creativity? Imagine your creativity is a state of wellbeing and that stress, overwhelm and burnout is...
Hello Creative QB’s, 2-3 minute read Try this one simple way to help fend off the starving artist syndrome in the pursuit of personal creativity. I don’t know about you, but stepping into my favourite art supply store to buy “just a few things’ is enough to send my...
We are three sisters on a mission to live a happy, healthy, creative life.
We have a hunch you are too.
Our hive flying blog, creativity courses and inspirational products will spark your divine creative spirit and connect you to your inner Creative Queen Bee for life and business.
I’m Amanda, eldest of our trio of sisters, founder and Creative Director of Creative Queen Bees. Being creative and seeing creativity come alive in other people is what lights me up. My approach to life is to be curious, to ask how we can make meaning and purpose in our lives through the creative process. I work with people, both in life and business to harness the power of creativity for personal and business growth. With 20+ years working in the creative industries as an award winning designer, business owner, creativity facilitator and ‘side-hustle artist’, I specialise in creative thinking for brand, marketing and innovation. Combined with my creative life skills, I re- imagine what is possible.
I’m Belle, (affectionately known as Binny) I’m the second sister of our trio. After 22 previous years in aviation and tourism, I’ve decided it’s time to start living an authentic creative life. A life which I had always dreamed, and am now pursuing here with my sisters in Creative Queen Bees. I live on a rural property in the Hunter Valley and most days you can find me illustrating my Australian life, complete with ‘blue cows’, ‘mustard goats’ and ‘green wallabies’.
I’m Cate, the ‘can do’ girl and youngest in our creative trio. I wear the handy lady pants and there is not much I won’t try my hand at. Over the years I have learnt to balance thinking logically and creatively and recognise this as a strength in myself. I chose a career in primary school teaching where I can bring this strength to life. I love play and a lot of the time you will find me tinkering amongst my many projects where I wield a pretty wild hammer.
Sign Up below and get our FREE Creativity for 10 Days, 10 Ways introductory eBook
'DAILY ACTS OF CREATIVITY'
Introducing a new, beautifully illustrated, uplighting book full of techiques to re-imagine your creativity as a state of wellbeing.
Daily Acts of Creativity is a heartfelt re-set for anyone on a course to finding greater contentment and a happy, healthy creative life full of love.